Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bathtub Tunes

It has been a week to remember.  With Kirk in Florida and the Snowmaggedon of 2011 icing us in I am exhausted.  I am exhausted of being lazy.  Is that possible?  We have had FOUR weekdays without school and me working from home.  I actually have gotten a lot accomplished workwise from here - so that is good.  But the house is a mess, we are out of food, and after a week without riding in a car I crave vehicular motion.  And I miss my husband!

But all that said I am so thankful for Connor and that this belly-laughing chatterbox kept me sane this week.  Playing single working mother has been a real exercise.  How to juggle the needs of my job and this adorable, precocious 3 year old all at the same time?!?  I thought a lot about my mom and how she managed to do it.  She was a single mom from the time I was 2 til I was 15!  I come away from this week with even more respect for the courage she brought to parenting.  And I realize how Connor and I are buddies.  Her needs for meals, naps, toys, learning, interaction gave rhythm and purpose to being stuck inside.

And then tonight, one of my favorite times.  She was in our bath with me in our adjacent bedroom hanging clothes.  The bath is behind the door I couldn't see her - but I could hear her.  That constant voice talking to the dolls and bath toys - completely engrossed in whatever scene she envisioned in her head.  I just listened as she completely forgot about me and sang and splashed with her imaginary "friends" 
It squished my heart it was so cute.

We may be frozen on the outside, but there is a warmth and happiness inside our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment